Web Archive‎ > ‎News 2014‎ > ‎

8.1 Aug 4 Bleat

posted 4 Aug 2014, 15:23 by Administrator Actvcc   [ updated 4 Aug 2014, 15:23 ]

Hello Vets,

In this week's Bleat;

•  EMail Problems

•  Fitz's Challenge – 26 October 2014

•  RMH Canberra Challenge – 19-20 September 2014

•  Interstate Events

•  Racing this Week

Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc

Ian Morton.

ps A reminder that if your EMail address is not correct please go to the IMG system, login and update your contact details. Use this link. Same login details when you renewed your membership

EMail Problems

I have received a few comments that people aren't receiving the Bleat via EMail. It is normally sent out on a Monday evening.

While I try to get to the cause of the problem, you can find archived copies of the Bleat: here.

Fitz's Challenge – 26 October 2014

Canberra's biggest and best known long-distance one-day cyclo-sportive participation event on sealed rural roads in hilly terrain in the southwest of ACT.

Challenge yourself over 255 km, 205 km, 165 km, 105 km or 50 km – these are serious physical challenges to test your capabilities. (The 205 and 255 km rides qualify as Audax rides for those interested).

Conducted by Pedal Power ACT (www.pedalpower.org.au)

Full details and registration at www.fitzs.com.au

RMH Canberra Challenge – 19-20 September 2014

Help the local House and have a lot of fun by joining the Ronald McDonald House Canberra Challenge!

For cycling enthusiasts, the Challenge also includes a cycling component, which will finish alongside the Walk and Run event at Rond Terrace on Saturday 20 September.

• Take on the cycling challenge, comprising of almost 200 kilometres over 2 days.

• Tackle riding on some of the toughest roads in the ACT.

• Take on over 3000 metres of climbing.

• Be a part of the National Road Series, riding on the same roads as some of the best cyclists in Australia!

• Raise money for Ronald McDonald House Canberra!

Details at www.rmhc.org.au/canberra-challenge

Interstate Events

•  Bike SA’s Annual Tour - 20 to 28 September 2014
more information at http://www.bikesa.asn.au/annualtour

RACING THIS WEEK:

Saturday, 9th August – Lookout Hill Graded Scratch

Where: Lookout Hill, Tidbinbilla Rd (North of Tharwa).
When: 1:30pm
Sign on: 15 mins before scheduled start time wearing your registered number.
Race Description: Lookout Hill Map: Course 4 Start, B, A, D, A, Finish (Lookout, Pt Hut, Apollo, Pt Hut, Lookout)
(Note: We may drop Pt Hut leg and just use the Apollo Rd leg 2xABC, 1xDEFG)
Race Director: Michael Fawke
Contact: Email mjfawke@internode.on.net Ph  0414685464 or 62232291

The nominated marshal for this event are;

•  Greg Shaw

We still need one more helper, please contact the Race Director if you can assist.

Please confirm with the Race Director that you are available. If you unable to make the date that you have been rostered please find a replacement.

RACE REPORT:

Cole Family Trophy - Secret Handicap – 2nd August

What a great day for a bike race! Given the diabolical weather the day before, riders were lucky to have sunny, still conditions for a great hit-out on Dog Trap Road for the Cole Family Handicap, which has been held every year since 1994. Let me start by saying thanks for the marshals who I think I omitted to mention in my post race announcements. We had Ian McVay on the bottom turn, Michael McGurgan on the top turn, Richard Gorrell as race starter and lead car, jet-lagged Ben Davis in the trail car and Angie Wren and Alex O'Shea in the finish chute.

The tactics of the secret handicap are to hang onto the higher graded riders while at the same time getting rid of the leeches from the lower grades. Usually A grade blast up the hill and by the time they've returned to the start there are no remnants of the other grades in the top bunch. Today was different and the A graders were happy to do the work for a large pack that even included C graders. Gradually, the lead bunch was whittled down to four and in the charge for the line it was Marc Vroomans who outsprinted Peter Marshall and Paul Scherl. Marc's fastest time for the day was well down on what A grade did for the same race in May, thereby cementing this grade well down the results sheet.

Although many riders concealed their numbers, Henry and chute folks managed to get the placings sorted so we now had our results for the day. Please clearly display your numbers in all races. Despite a recent bereavement, ACT cycling stalwart Barry Cole was on hand to present the medals, while defending champions jet-lagged Rosemary Robinson and Richard Gorrell tearfully gave away the women's and men's perpetual trophies.

Women's placings were:

1. Lynne Prentice

2. Sue Powell

3. Kirsty McVay

Men's placings were:

1. Cameron Ermert

2. Don Mankewich/Elton Ivers

3. Craig Kentwell

Thanks to Robert Langridge for race refereeing.