Web Archive‎ > ‎News 2014‎ > ‎

9.2 Sep 8 Bleat

posted 8 Sep 2014, 15:48 by Administrator Actvcc   [ updated 8 Sep 2014, 15:48 ]

Hello Vets,

In this week's Bleat;

•  Reminder about Neutral Turns

•  Fitz's Challenge – 26 October 2014

•  Racing this Week *** Note the revised starting location ***

•  Race Report

Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc

Ian Morton.

ps A reminder that if your EMail address is not correct please go to the IMG system, login and update your contact details. Use this link. Same login details when you renewed your membership

Reminder about Neutral Turns

A reminder to all riders that U turns and certain turns are designated neutral to allow all riders to pass safely through that area. When this rule is ignored the attacking rider or the chasers abandon all regard for safety to get an advantage or close the gap, while those adhering to the rule are left behind.

In the championships we had a tandem and a bunch trying to turn together. The leaders of the bunch left those behind the tandem to ride the rest of the race solo. At Lookout Hill, we had riders attacking through the village and cutting the corner at the T-junction. On one occasion, one bunch nearly ran head on into a race bunch coming the other way.

Even if the race referee does not mention which corners are neutral, we should assume that only left hand turns are not neutral. There are many places to attack in a race, so there's no need to take advantage of a situation when riders should be taking the most care.

Fitz's Challenge – 26 October 2014

Canberra's biggest and best known long-distance one-day cyclo-sportive participation event on sealed rural roads in hilly terrain in the southwest of ACT.

Challenge yourself over 255 km, 205 km, 165 km, 105 km or 50 km – these are serious physical challenges to test your capabilities. (The 205 and 255 km rides qualify as Audax rides for those interested).

Conducted by Pedal Power ACT (www.pedalpower.org.au)

Full details and registration at www.fitzs.com.au

RACING THIS WEEK:

Saturday, 13th September – Uriarra Homestead Iron Mike Handicap

Where: Uriarra Homestead, Uriarra Rd - Brindabella Rd T-Junction. *** Note the revised starting location ***
When: 12:30pm
*** Note the earlier start time ***
Sign on: 15 mins before scheduled start time wearing your registered number.
Race Description: Start at the homestead and go up to the end of the bitumen on Brindabella Road, turn and go all the way down to the top of the crossing and then return to the homestead. Then do another lap. (The handicaps will be large as it will be a long race)
Race Director: Steve Dean

The nominated marshals for this event are;

•  Simon Milnes

•  Bill Frost

•  Lindsay Graham

•  Ben Davis

•  Phil Anderson

•  Bernie Crowe

Please confirm with the Race Director that you are available. If you unable to make the date that you have been rostered please find a replacement.

RACE REPORT:

Dalton Graded Scratch – 6th September

We had 41 competitors enjoying good safe racing under nice conditions at Dalton on Saturday; gentle breeze and 15 degrees. Several races came down to a final sprint and it was a hard slog up the hill from Dalton to the finish.

By the time A-Grade completed 20km the field of five had been broken up with Ian Downing and Charles Nicoll off the front. I understand Charles attacked, Ian chased him and the two stayed together until the finish where Ian was able to win the sprint. Sean Ifland was third, just a hundred meters or so back.

B-Grade came down to a rousing final sprint, with Dom Rideaux prevailing by a quarter wheel in the closest race of the day from David Mullens. Jason Parkes was third but only 30 seconds separated 8 of the ten riders.

There was no C Grade race, while in D Grade the Tandem of Mankewich and Ivers finished with the tail of B Garde and well ahead of the other 9 contestants. Trent Wiseman was second a minute back and then a big gap to the rest headed by Sean Fleming.

In E-Grade the race came down to a three-way sprint up the hill between David Gunther who scooted away to win from Bob Kent(2) and Ian Albrey(3).

F-Grade had a field of six with Luke McGowan, winning from Ian Morton and Mick Donaldson. Great to see Ross Robinson back racing after that fall he had some time back, and a great effort to finish fourth. We’d love to see you back racing in C-Grade some day Ross.

G-Grade was won clearly by Pauline Thorn. Bruce Jones was second from Polly Templeton third battling it out up the final hill.

Thanks to the six marshals Russell Marston and Sue Powell in the lead and follow cars and Dale Teddy, Steve Crispin, Michael Carr and Owain Tilley on the turns. Thanks guys, your reliability made the job of running a smooth race easy. Also thanks to Kris who volunteered to help with timing. Special thanks to Ian Morton and James Meredith for your assistance; you guys are the first to arrive and the last to leave. Also great assistance in the week leading up to the race from Graham Hendry, Ian Albrey and Ben Davis. I could go on.

Thanks to Steve Schwenke for race refereeing.

View from the D grade bunch

Recovering from injury and lay-off, I've been enjoying riding in D grade over the past month or so. The races have been very social with the pace only picking up towards the end. Things changed at Dalton as no C graders turned up so the C grade tandem of Don and Elton joined Delta force for a jaunt in the countryside. Naturally, we let Don and Elton lead but the pace may have been a bit quicker than normal and Frank O'Sullivan was the first casualty on the long hill out , then on the first decent Andy Boyd was also left behind. The pace was civilised after the Gunning turn but once Don and Elton crested the hill they transitioned to warp speed. At first things were OK, but the drag felt by riders who tend to sit high with their hands on the hoods became too much at such speeds, and suddenly the tandem had gapped us!

So with nose on stem, I scooted around the flailing bunch and was jettisoned into cycling heaven--roaring along with very little effort.

Back in Dalton, I realised Trent Wiseman and John Thorn (from B grade) had also come along for the ride. From then on, the race continued in the best possible way; slow up the hills and fast down. Past the pub turn, I realised it wouldn't be a good look for the club handicapper to finish ahead of the rest of D grade by five minutes so I slowed to wait for the others while Trent battled on to stay with Don and Elton.

In the end, Don and Elton were too strong for Trent, but he still finished 5 minutes ahead of his rivals without ever doing a turn.

Best put myself back to B grade for the Iron Mike.

Robert Langridge

ps. Congratulations to new member Angela Bateup who was 5th overall in the Canberra Times Fun Run 10km race on Sunday. Angela just dipped under the 37-minute mark, and was only 38 seconds behind the female winner (who was born in the late 90s). Ex members Bruce Graham 34:12 and Simon Claringbold 36:13 were also high in the placings.