Web Archive‎ > ‎News 2012‎ > ‎

4.2 April 16 Bleat

posted 16 Apr 2012, 05:51 by Administrator Actvcc

Hello Vets, welcome back after a short break to another issue of The Bleat. In this week’s issue;

·         Racing this Week – Read the new rules.

·         Gunning Two Day – Race Director’s report

·         In this week’s Member Profile we look at Adrian Keough.

·         Race Referees – we need volunteers to qualify as club referees.

Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc

Ian Morton.

RACING THIS WEEK:

Saturday, 21st April: Dalton Graded Scratch

Where: Dalton, parking area about 500 m east of Dalton's central intersection on Gunning Road
Time: 1:00 pm
Sign-on: At least 15 minutes before scheduled race time. Numbers must be worn on the bottom left of your jersey.
Race Description: Dalton - Gunning - Boorowa Rd ABCD do 2 laps Dalton to Gunning 1st Dalton U Turn at Start area. EFG do 1 lap. Then all head west on Boorowa Rd to end of bitumen (3k) and ret to Dalton then north on Rugby Rd to end of bitumen (5k) and return to finish in Dalton.
Race Director: Rob Diamond
Contact:; Email: 7rob07@gmail.com  (02) 6295 1295 or 0416 274 161

Help Needed on Sunday: We will require some road marshals and at least two others to help at the start/finish. Please advise if you can help.

New Rules

To meet new AVCC rules, the club will be required to meet the following conditions for racing;

·         Helmets – All members must wear helmets that meet Australian Standards.  Competitors must present their helmet for inspection prior to the race to confirm it has an Australian Standards approval label.

·         Bikes – Bikes must be roadworthy.  Bikes will be checked for independent front and rear brakes and fitted with handlebar plugs.

·         Racing Jerseys must cover upper arms and shoulders.

Peter McLennan Memorial Two Day Event – Race Director’s Report:

The Peter McLennan Gunning Two Day was held in perfect conditions and over a hundred riders turned up.  With the usual club spirit, a pleasing number of club members got off their bikes and / or recruited partners to assist and we could not have done without them.  The first stage was the time trial and thanks to the seasoned team of Henry Beaverstock and Graham Hendrie, race timing went perfectly.  A few riders somehow missed their start and one rider set off at a 90 degree angle to the main road, forcing the race director to take one step, then a second step backwards into the water-filled ditch.  At least it quietened down the chorus of frogs!  The time trial produced some very fast times, including two sisters on identical time splits.  Many riders do not like this discipline, but no one has yet come up with a fairer way of opening up the road race in each grade.

The afternoon stage moved to Dalton, an experiment that the club is unlikely to repeat.  Higher than expected traffic, a shorter than advertised course and a fast finishing sprint on both sides of the road with a single chute operator desperately tried to slow down a bunch still doing 50 kph all added to the drama of the serious crash in D grade.  The race results were produced in record time and for most grades, the top 5 riders were within striking distance of each other.  The club has encouraged tandems in recent years and they finished the stage within seconds of each other.

The next morning had the Gunning characteristic where a small number of riders did not return and some had even opted for the Goulburn club race, which turned a few hundred metres from our start, making for some interesting moments at sprint bonus points!  The magical ‘someone’, who had promised to bring water bottles, did not eventuate.  Luckily, most riders proffered a spare bottle and all was well.  In warm conditions, the riders set off and the chase began.  Under pressure, Kev Hennessy and his team judged each sprint bonus to perfection, the words of the race director ringing in his ear – “just get the sprint bonuses right Kev and the results will look after themselves!”.  Within 45 minutes of the finish, results were ready and Peter McLennan’s son and daughter, Connor and Eilish, presented medals as part of a great meal prepared by the Gunning locals.  It was good to see Peter McLennan’s very close friend, John Paul de Sousa, win his grade.

Thanks to all the Marshals and also to club secretary Dennis Puniard, who started preparing late last year and despite putting in road approvals over three months in advance, was still sweating on even being able to run the even just a few days before.

ACT Veterans Member Profile

In our next member profile we look at we look at new member Adrian Keough;

How long have you been a member of ACT Vets?

Since Jan 2012

What is your favourite course in the ACT Vets racing calendar and why?

I 've only ridden the Stromlo Crit track and Dairy Flat so far, have to say I prefer Stromlo, going into and out of the corners at DF is interesting to say the least.

What Grade did you start in with the Vets?

I was initially graded in E but have only raced D so far.

How long have you been cycling?

About 12 years.

What got you interested in cycling?

My first 'grown up' bike was a second hand GT hardtail that I bought so I could do adventure racing. The love of road cycling grew from there.

What was your most memorable ride?

A 100miler through the San Juan mountains in Colorado on day 3 of a 10 day Adventure race.

What is/was your favourite bike?

A 2003 Trek 2300, unfortunately the front derailleur literally fell off riding home from the crits on Tues night.

Where do you work?

IBM.

How do you find the time to train?

We have a 17 month old and a 3 month old so racing is my training, I consistently get out on the bike twice a week and three times if everything is going well.

Do you have a special training regime?

Not at the moment, I have in the past and think it's the way to go. Need time and flexibility though...

What does your family think of your cycling?

Donna love's it and the kids don't have a choice!

An interesting fact about yourself;

I love 4wding and camping, sorry that's about as interesting as I get ;-)

Race Referees

The other change required by the AVCC is that all future racing must be conducted by club registered Race Referees.  The race committee is asking for volunteers to take on the role. The Referee should be knowledgeable in the rules of the AVCC, and the club, and be willing to enforce those rules to the benefit of the club and its members.

These members will be put on a rotating roster to undertake their duties throughout the year, with consideration given to obligations.  Each referee will receive their membership for the year that they are roster at the clubs expense.

As everyone has already joined for this year we will wave all future race fees for the rest of the year for all this years rostered referees in lieu.  The need for volunteers is a matter of urgency and we must be able to meet this requirement before the start of the winter season when the new policy will take effect.

The important question to be asked is what happens if we don’t get the minimum number of referees. The race committee will be forced to reassess the calendar and reduce the number of races.

If you are prepared to take on this role, please contact James at handicapper@actvets.cc