Web Archive‎ > ‎News 2012‎ > ‎

6.1 June 4 Bleat

posted 4 Jun 2012, 17:25 by Administrator Actvcc

Hello Vets, welcome to another issue of The Bleat. In this week’s issue;

·         Racing this Week –Gunning

·         Orroral Road – Race Director’s report.

·         “Riding down a grade” – Some enthusiastic discussions

·         Pictures from Dog Trap Road – some great shots from the day.

·         Trailer for Sale – to a good home for a reasonable price.

·         In this week’s Member Profile we look at Jim Davey.

Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc

Ian Morton.

RACING THIS WEEK:

Saturday, 9th June: Gunning Handicap

Where: Races start and finish at summit of hill about 1.5 km NE of Gunning. Park off the road at the top of the hill adjacent to the start finish.
When: 1:30 pm.
Sign on: 15 mins before scheduled start time wearing your registered number.
Race Description:
Gunning - Breadalbane
Race Director: Rohan Verco

Help Needed on Saturday:  Rohan will need road marshals, lead and trail car drivers and a couple of helpers at the finish line to run the race.  Please contact Rohan if you can assist.

Reminder of the New Rules

To meet new AVCC rules, the club will be required to meet the following conditions for racing;

·         Helmets – All members must wear helmets that meet Australian Standards.  Competitors must present their helmet for inspection prior to the race to confirm it has one of the Australian Standards approval labels (shown below) and is in good condition.

·         Bikes – Bikes must be roadworthy.  Bikes will be checked for independent front and rear brakes and fitted with handlebar plugs.

·         Racing Jerseys must cover upper arms and shoulders.

·         Race Number: All riders must wear race numbers.  To assist in an emergency, contact details should be recorded on the race number.

Orroral Road Race Report

Some serious decision making was required on Saturday for more than 300 ACTVETS members. Do I brave the unknown and tackle one of our more challenging courses or do I continue to sit in front of the fire with a good book and a hot chocolate!

Well 23 brave riders, 6 dedicated marshals and one first aid support officer took up the challenge to travel to Orroral Road, through the rain in Canberra and the fog over Fitz’s Hill to a relatively calm and somewhat dry venue.

With A Grade (7) and F Grade (5) making up the bulk of the contenders it was decided to start in two groups so that there was at least a group start for all.

In A Grade Ian Downing took out the honours from Paul Atyeo with Aaron Sedgman completing the podium. It looked as though Aaron would overtake Paul in the last leg but the final climb before the downhill charge to the line was too much to overcome.

Overall the race towards the end looked like a time trial with virtually no sprints for the line. Maybe this had something to do with the weather as by the finish, a high fog had rolled in, it had begun to rain and cool down. Just finishing was the order of the day.

Our first aid support officer, Tom, was close to being called into action when before the second group started we had a slow speed fall. No names no pack drill.

Thanks to our marshal’s on the day, Henry Beaverstock on timing, Graham Hendrie for the van and start/finish list, Baden White and Owain Tilly our turn marshals and Kev Hennessy our chute marshal.

Thanks to Phil Coulton for Race Refereeing.

Full race results on the RMS: http://rms.actvets.cc/

“Riding down a grade”

Good to see some enthusiastic discussion on the ACT Vets Discussion Group on the subject of riding down a grade.  Obviously an issue that stirs some passions.

If you Inbox hasn’t been filling up with discussion, you can always follow this, and other debates at: http://groups.google.com/group/actvcc_discussion?hl=en

Pictures from Dog Trap Road

Thanks to Bob Miller, photos from the Cole Family Trophy Secret Handicap at Dog Trap Road are up on the Vets Website: http://www.actvets.cc/photos

Trailer for Sale

The new van has proved a success and the club is looking to dispose of the old trailer. Current asking price is $1,500 (I’m sure we will consider any reasonable offer).  If anyone is interested in a well used, well loved trailer please contact Graham (hendrie@netspeed.com.au).

ACT Veterans Member Profile

In our next member profile we look at we look at Jim Davey;

How long have you been a member of ACT Vets?

Only 6 months now, but have been intending to join for at least 5 years...  I stumbled upon a work colleague that rides with the Vets and that gave me the little nudge I needed to actually rock up to a Tuesday night Crit.  Been loving it ever since... Thanks Pat!  :)

What is your favourite course in the ACT Vets racing calendar and why?

Haven't ridden them all yet, but I have recently developed a love/hate relationship with the Apollo Road / Honeysuckle Creek hilltop finish.  Probably couldn't say that it was my favourite, but there is definitely unfinished business with that course.

What Grade did you start in with the Vets?

Started in 'D' grade.  Now struggling in B, which was kind of a goal for me. I was a struggling B grader about 10 years ago with the CCC, so I feel like I'm returning to some form and fitness of my younger self.  But it does seem to hurt more than I remember.

How long have you been cycling?

I always used bikes as transport throughout school and university, and would attempt to overtake all the 'Fairy boys' in their Lycra on my daily commutes.  Wasn't long before I joined the Lycra clad bunches in the early nineties and participated in the Canberra club racing scene.  Since then I've been in and out of clubs and cycling in general, but have always had a closet passion for the road cycling scene.  I love following the Euro road season including the classics, grand tours and myriad other one day and stage races.  Smartphones and the Internet have made it so easy to keep up-to-date with results, images, news and interviews, and there's just so much drama in the pro peloton both on and off the bike - it's as addictive as actually riding!

What got you interested in cycling?

Road cycling was a bit of a mystery until a friend introduced me to it in 1990.  At the time he worked at Spokesman cycles and I found myself hanging around the shop a bit.  I bought his old racer from him - a Saronni - after he upgraded to a Pegasus frame with Reynolds 753 tubing!  The best thing since 531 he claimed!  That led to rides and training bunches which then led to racing and occasional time trialling.

What do you like about racing with the Vets?

The welcoming and social, yet still very competitive, nature of the club.  Tea and coffee at the end of racing is very civilised.  I also thoroughly enjoyed the Track program over summer, which is something I have been wanting to try for a while now.  Gave me an opportunity to add a Track Bike to the stable and learn about another cycling discipline that I didn't fully understand until I'd ridden a few events.  Again, the vets meets had a great social atmosphere out at the Queanbeyan track which I thoroughly enjoyed...

What is/was your favourite bike?

I have only really owned two road bikes - my first a steel 6 speed Saronni (named after a cycling legend) with downtube shifters - I still have this bike, though I sucumbed to the Fixie craze and converted it - I think I've taken it out for a spin twice since :(

My current bike however, an F.Moser Leader AX (another steel bike named after another cycling legend) is a classic italian steed that is a joy to ride.  Very comfortable, no doubt heavier than most of the bikes in the bunch nowadays...  Whether or not this is holding me back I may never know...

Where do you work?

I have worked for AusAID in the IT Branch for the past 5 years.

How do you find the time to train?

I really don't find much time to train between family and other commitments, I try and ride to work when I can, sometimes join a training ride when the opportunity arises (ie when the planets align) and racing as often as I can.  Consistency has always been my biggest challenge.

What does your family think of your cycling?

I get alot of sighs and groans after announcing that I have a ride or race to attend.  And there are a few projects around the house that, 'would be completed by now if it wasn't for all the other hobbies' (ie cycling)...  But I think generally they tolerate the smelly knicks lying around the house, the bikes littering the garage and the occaisional surprise package from Wiggle that arrives without warning... "you bought what!?!?!... Why!?!?"

An interesting fact about yourself;

I was born in Swaziland... 

Race Referees

The other change required by the AVCC is that all future racing must be conducted by club registered Race Referees. The race committee is asking for volunteers to take on the role. The Referee should be knowledgeable in the rules of the AVCC, and the club, and be willing to enforce those rules to the benefit of the club and its members.

These members will be put on a rotating roster to undertake their duties throughout the year, with consideration given to obligations.  Each referee will receive their membership for the year that they are roster at the clubs expense.

As everyone has already joined for this year we will wave all future race fees for the rest of the year for all this years rostered referees in lieu.  The need for volunteers is a matter of urgency and we must be able to meet this requirement before the start of the winter season when the new policy will take effect.

The important question to be asked is what happens if we don’t get the minimum number of referees. The race committee will be forced to reassess the calendar and reduce the number of races.

If you are prepared to take on this role, please contact James at handicapper@actvets.cc

First Aiders

One of the other items that the Race Committee need to follow up on are those members who are current holders of a First Aid Certificate who are will to register to aid the club in this role.

This does not preclude the rider from racing, or performing any other duties, but it is a requirement of the insurance that we know who these people are should we need to call on their services.

It is also important to note that should anyone wish to get their certificate the club will pay the costs involved.

If you are prepared to take on this role, please contact James at handicapper@actvets.cc