Web Archive‎ > ‎News 2012‎ > ‎

6.2 June 11 Bleat

posted 11 Jun 2012, 05:58 by Administrator Actvcc

Hello Vets, welcome to another issue of The Bleat. In this week’s issue;

·         Racing this Week –Uriarra Homestead

·         Gunning Handicap – Race Director’s report.

·         Feedback on the RMS – The committee are interested in your views.

·         In this week’s Member Profile we look at Chris Chant.

Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc

Ian Morton.

RACING THIS WEEK:

Saturday, 16th June: Uriarra Homestead Handicap

Where: Uriarra Rd / Brindabella Rd, T-Junction.
When: 1:30 pm.
Sign on: 15 mins before scheduled start time wearing your registered number.
Race Description:
Uriarra Homestead - Blue Range Spur - Crossing - Blue Range Spur - Crossing - Finish
Race Director: Bob Miller

Help Needed on Saturday:  Bob will need a couple of road marshals, and helpers at the finish line to run the race.  Please contact Bob if you can assist.

Reminder of the New Rules

To meet new AVCC rules, the club will be required to meet the following conditions for racing;

·         Helmets – All members must wear helmets that meet Australian Standards.  Competitors must present their helmet for inspection prior to the race to confirm it has one of the Australian Standards approval labels (shown below) and is in good condition.

·         Bikes – Bikes must be roadworthy.  Bikes will be checked for independent front and rear brakes and fitted with handlebar plugs.

·         Racing Jerseys must cover upper arms and shoulders.

·         Race Number: All riders must wear race numbers.  To assist in an emergency, contact details should be recorded on the race number.

Gunning Handicap Race Report

After two consecutive Saturdays of so so weather, 82 Vets finally enjoyed a clear day with a light breeze perfect for racing.  The event was a handicap with A Grade starting a full 25 minutes behind G Grade.  Without wanting to inflate the tyres of the handicapper, he got it right for this event with 40 riders coming across the line within 15 seconds of each other.  

With 20 riders each in both A and B Grades the pressure was on for the lower grades to maintain their handicap advantage.   Elton Ivers, in the lead car was providing some updates from the course and from his observations A grade finally caught the bunch around the bridge on top of the Cullerin Range on the homeward journey.  From there it was like a peloton from any of the grand tours with the strong riders taking turns up the front to drive the large group home.  Thanks to Henry’s binoculars we got a great view of the peloton coming into view on the long grind up the hill to Gunning with about 2kms to go. 

The peloton stuck together until about 500m out when the pace really came on for those that still had the legs.  There wasn’t much room to move and many of the riders at the back had little opportunity to fight their way forward.  The reward was with the strong men at the front and Ian Downing finally pulled away in the last 50m to win by 5m from a hard chasing bunch.  It was great to see a spread of A-D Grade riders in the bunch sprint demonstrating some hard riding by those in the lower grades.

Henry did a great job on the line managing to catch all the riders on the race clock and James managed the chute like a professional in trying circumstances with 40 odd rides all trying to fit down the finishing chute.  Thanks also go out to Russell Marston (who stepped up on the day) and Elton Ivers who managed the following and leading cars respectively and also Rob Diamond who managed the lollypop at the Breadalbane turn point.  Overall a great day of racing with many stories to tell into the future.

Thanks to Rohan Verco for Race Refereeing.

Full race results on the RMS: http://rms.actvets.cc/

Lost Property:  A mobile phone was handed in. Please contact Phil on 0417299149 to claim.

Feedback on the RMS

The Rider Management System has been in use for a while now and the Committee are interested in any feedback from members about the system.  How easy is it to use, are there any features you would like to see.

Please send any feedback you have back to me at TheBleat@actvets.cc

ACT Veterans Member Profile

In our next member profile we look at we look at Chris Chant;

How long have you been a member of ACT Vets?

I joined ACT Vets at the end of 2008, in time for the 2008/09 crit season.

What is your favourite course in the ACT Vets racing calendar and why?

The Stromlo Criterium circuit is my favourite.  Smooth and fast, nice corners, and no real hills.  I also enjoyed the Geoscience Australia carpark crits – the combination of the tight bottom corner and short hill benefited those brave/silly enough to stay off the brakes.  Even though I have been a member for a few years now, I still haven’t ridden all of the ACT Vets road courses.  Of the ones I have ridden, Gunning is the only one where I have managed to stay with the bunch!

What Grade did you start in with the Vets?

I started in C grade and now race B grade.

How long have you been cycling?

I’ve been riding bikes since I was 4, and most childhood weekends were spent having adventures on my bike.  I caught the bug properly in 1988 when I did the Great Victorian Bike Ride with a school group.  I started racing in 1991 with the Blackburn Cycling Club in Melbourne, and soon discovered I was competitive in criteriums and flat road races, but spent a lot of time riding on my own in hilly road races – and not in a good way.  I moved to Canberra in 1995 and joined Canberra Cycling Club and CORC.  Then I discovered downhill MTB racing, and being slow up hills didn’t matter anymore.  Eventually I got sick of breaking things (mostly mechanical), and took up riding dirt (motor) bikes.  Although I had never completely stopped riding road bikes, in about 2005 I got more involved in road riding again and joined ACT Vets once I passed the magical age of 35.  Most of my cycling is done on the road.  I still ride MTBs, mostly for fun but also for the challenge of some of the longer events. 

What got you interested in cycling?

Speed, freedom and challenging myself... and because bikes are cool.

What was your most memorable ride?

The last one.  I don’t have any exotic cycling adventures to report.  I have had plenty of rides that were memorable for the wrong reasons; being carried off Mt Majura in a 4wd ambulance after a ‘misadventure’ in a Nationals DH race; taking out the CCC crash of the year several years ago after sliding down the road and turning my knicks into what can only be described as inspiration for Borat’s Mankini; and being completely out-classed and under-trained but still deciding to enter the Vets National Championships when the ACT Vets held them at Bungendore in November 2010 and subsequently riding 115km of the 120km road race on my own.  Even the traffic marshals had packed up before I finished!  I enjoy participating in events like Fitz’s Challenge, Amy’s ride and the Hartley, but I prefer the challenge of a hard solo ride against challenging terrain and conditions.  Even though I can’t race up hills, we tolerate each other and so many of my most memorable rides have included climbs – in part so that I can enjoy the descent.  I especially like riding south of Tharwa (Fitz’s and Honeysuckle), Corin Dam, and rides in Victoria like Mt Buffalo, the Dandenong Ranges, and the Mornington Peninsular around Red Hill and Arthur’s Seat. 

What is/was your favourite bike?

My retired 1990 Hillman made from Reynolds 531 with long cut-out lugs and custom ‘smoke’ paint scheme (originally fitted with Campagnolo Super Record and then later the original 8-speed Shimano Dura Ace STI) will always have a special place on my garage wall, however, my overall favourite would be my Cannondale CAAD8.  Even though it has done too many kilometres, it is stiff, strong, reliable and has fantastic handling.  It is my training, commuting and racing bike.

Where do you work?

I work at the Department of Infrastructure and Transport, located in Civic.

How do you find the time to train?

Like many others, balancing family, work and other responsibilities doesn’t leave much time for the bike, so I base my training around commuting to/from work.  Living in south Tuggeranong and working in Civic means it isn’t too hard to get some kilometres up.  I do a bit of travel for work, and I also have a property near Cooma where I often spend weekends, so finding the time to get to races on a weekend is even harder than finding the time to train!

Do you have a special training regime?

I try to add detours to my commute to include some hills or sprint sessions with a balance between what I enjoy (sprints) and what I need (hills)... and there is also the impromptu sprint training trying to cross some of Canberra’s roundabouts.  Does that count?

What does your family think of your cycling?

My wife is very supportive (I heard a rumour I am nicer to be around when I get my ration of bike time), and my kids have also been bitten by the bike bug.

An interesting fact about yourself;

I have a property in the hills outside Cooma, so a lot of my weekends are spent ‘cross-training’ – climbing up and down hills weed-spraying, chasing after kids on motorbikes, that sort of thing.   

Race Referees

The other change required by the AVCC is that all future racing must be conducted by club registered Race Referees. The race committee is asking for volunteers to take on the role. The Referee should be knowledgeable in the rules of the AVCC, and the club, and be willing to enforce those rules to the benefit of the club and its members.

These members will be put on a rotating roster to undertake their duties throughout the year, with consideration given to obligations.  Each referee will receive their membership for the year that they are roster at the clubs expense.

As everyone has already joined for this year we will wave all future race fees for the rest of the year for all this years rostered referees in lieu.  The need for volunteers is a matter of urgency and we must be able to meet this requirement before the start of the winter season when the new policy will take effect.

The important question to be asked is what happens if we don’t get the minimum number of referees. The race committee will be forced to reassess the calendar and reduce the number of races.

If you are prepared to take on this role, please contact James at handicapper@actvets.cc

First Aiders

One of the other items that the Race Committee need to follow up on are those members who are current holders of a First Aid Certificate who are will to register to aid the club in this role.

This does not preclude the rider from racing, or performing any other duties, but it is a requirement of the insurance that we know who these people are should we need to call on their services.

It is also important to note that should anyone wish to get their certificate the club will pay the costs involved.

If you are prepared to take on this role, please contact James at handicapper@actvets.cc