Web Archive‎ > ‎News 2012‎ > ‎

8.1 August 6 Bleat

posted 6 Aug 2012, 15:11 by Administrator Actvcc

Hello Vets,

In this issue of The Bleat;

·         Racing this Week – Lookout Hill Graded Scratch.

·         Gunning – Race Director’s report.

·         In this week’s Member Profile we look at Leeanne Sheather.

Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc

Ian Morton.

RACING THIS WEEK:

Saturday, 11th August: Lookout Hill Graded Scratch

Where: Lookout Hill.
When: 1:30 pm.
Sign on: 15 mins before scheduled start time wearing your registered number.
Race Description:
Lookout Hill - Pt Hut - Mt Tenant - Apollo Rd, return to Finish 500 Meters before Lookout Hill.
Race Director: Steve Schwenke

Help Needed on Saturday:  Steve will need three road marshals and helpers at the finish line to run the race.  Please contact him if you can assist.

The importance of volunteering

We all love racing. That’s why we turn up, week after week, to pull on our lycra and get out on the road.

But these races can’t be run without the required number of marshals and, where mandated, lead and trail car drivers. So if you haven’t taken a turn at being a marshal recently, give some thought when the call goes out for volunteers, to give up the opportunity for a race to make sure that we can keep these events running.

Gunning Race Report

Another fine, warm and sunny day for a club race at Gunning.... no, that's what we wanted it to be.  Instead, after a slightly delayed start caused by riders continuing to sign on well after the 1:15 cutoff time, 79 riders headed out in overcast, cold and windy...  but only after Don DeSmet and Angelika Mauch gave up their rides to act as turn marshal and lead car respectively.

Once the riders were away, the team at the start line returned to more important tasks - trying to get the urn hot in spite of the wind.  After drink were finally sorted, talk turned to that next most important of tasks - how long before the riders show up and we have to stand out on the road instead of hiding behind the van? 

And so it was that we were ready when, despite the  the ferocious headwind for the return trip, the majority of the A grade bunch returned several minutes earlier than expected, with the riders from Velo Canberra (who had ridden to Gunning for the start) taking the first four places.   After that, it was obvious the headwind had taken its toll, with small groups of riders from different bunches crossing the line, until the final two riders crossed the line an hour and fifty-two minutes after the start.

By the time Graham was dragged into the van and tied to the computer, half the competitors had found warmer conditions elsewhere, and once we had the results ready there was no-one left to announce the results to.  

Many thanks to Graham Hendrie (organising and results), Henry Beaverstock (organising and timing), Damien Clark (finish chute), "Unknown Man" (finish chute), Michael Carr (Bredalbane turn), Don De Smet (At the Poplars turn), James Meredith (Tail Car), Angelika Mauch (Lead Car) and "Simon the Medic".

Trivia: According to the Goulburn airport monitoring stations, the wind was Westerly ranging from 32kph to 41kph, with gusts to 57kph.  The temperature ranged between 11.3C and 13.3C.

Thanks to Michael Fawke for Race Refereeing.

Race results on the RMS: http://rms.actvets.cc/

For anyone who wants the detailed times, you can get them from http://www.actvets.cc/results/2012-winter-season-results

ACT Veterans Member Profile

In our next member profile we look at we look at Leeanne Sheather;

How long have you been a member of ACT Vets?

About a year.

What is your favourite course in the ACT Vets racing calendar and why?

I like racing so any as long as its not hilly, love going to Gunning ..

What Grade did you start in with the Vets?

D Grade.

What do you like about racing with the Vets?

I like racing with the vets because I am not getting my arse kicked by twenty year olds. I also enjoy the friendliness of the vets and having a coffee and a chat after a hard day racing.

How long have you been cycling?

5 years.

What got you interested in cycling?

I was doing a RPM class and a girl who I had met mention an all-women’s cycle race call the Tour De Femme so 4 weeks before bought a bike had no idea but came in the top 50 I was hooked.

What was your most memorable ride?

My most memorable ride was down the coast I couldn't say it was the nicest ride either but I was new to cycling  and thought I was pretty tough .I did a 5 hour ride on one muesli bar, I thought I was going to die ,5 minutes from home stopped at the local shop and had the biggest chocolate milk I could find and sat there till some strength return.

What is/was your favourite bike?

It was my Pinarello Prince I loved that bike ,I would of slept with it but my husband wouldn't  share the bed . It died of a cracked frame.

Where do you work?

I work from home ,Design Consultant.

How do you find the time to train?

I get out at 5.00am most mornings.

Do you have a special training regime?

I try to have goals and usually have a program done from a coach . But my health has seen me dial it back and just ride for enjoyment.

What does your family think of your cycling?

Well my husband thinks I am crazy, and my kids like mum coming home with medals.

An interesting fact about yourself;

Obsessed by Bikes ,Fast cars and shoes .

Race Referees

The other change required by the AVCC is that all future racing must be conducted by club registered Race Referees. The race committee is asking for volunteers to take on the role. The Referee should be knowledgeable in the rules of the AVCC, and the club, and be willing to enforce those rules to the benefit of the club and its members.

These members will be put on a rotating roster to undertake their duties throughout the year, with consideration given to obligations.  Each referee will receive their membership for the year that they are roster at the clubs expense.

As everyone has already joined for this year we will wave all future race fees for the rest of the year for all this years rostered referees in lieu.  The need for volunteers is a matter of urgency and we must be able to meet this requirement before the start of the winter season when the new policy will take effect.

The important question to be asked is what happens if we don’t get the minimum number of referees. The race committee will be forced to reassess the calendar and reduce the number of races.

If you are prepared to take on this role, please contact James at handicapper@actvets.cc

Comments