Web Archive‎ > ‎News 2012‎ > ‎

9.2 September 10 Bleat

posted 10 Sep 2012, 15:58 by Administrator Actvcc

Hello Vets,

In this issue of The Bleat;

·         Racing this Week – Dog Trap Rd Graded Scratch

·         Lookout Hill Time Trail – Race Director’s report.

·         lifecycle – Ride to raise awareness of Leukaemia.

·         Hartley Lifecare – 24hr Wheel-a-thon

·         The ACT Election – Your chance to have your say about cycling.

·         In this week’s Member Profile we look at Michael Redman.

Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc

Ian Morton.

RACING THIS WEEK:

Saturday, 15th September: Dog Trap Rd Graded Scratch

Where: Turn off Barton Highway at Long Rail Gully Road or sealed access from Yass River Road
When: 1:30 pm
Sign on: 15 mins before scheduled start time wearing your registered number.
Race Description: 3 Laps of Dog Trap Rd.
Race Director: Michael Golding
Contact: Email: michael.golding@crimecommission.gov.au   Ph: 6161 3526

Help Needed on Saturday:  Michael will need lead and trail car drivers, some Marshals and helpers at the finish line to run the race.  Please contact him if you can assist.

Some Important Reminders about Race Organisation;

To help in the smooth running of races, could members please assist by;

·         Arriving at the venue before the scheduled signon on time (usually 15 minutes before the scheduled race start) to give time to enter and print the starting sheets,

·         Having your helmet ready at signon for inspection,

·         Having your race number visible (not hidden under race jacket),

·         Ensuring you report back to the Race Director if you DNF to ensure we can account for all riders.

This will all help in ensuring the smooth running of the events.

Lookout Hill Time Trial Race Report

While Time Trials appear not the be everybodie's cup of tea, there were 42 riders prepared to brave the windy conditions of the morning.  As it turned out the variable wind dropped in intensity and the weather was quite nice and sunny for the race, at least at the Start/Finish line.

Ian Downing and Aaron Sedgeman volunteered early in the week so I only had to put the pressure on Ross Robinson to have the required number of marshals for the event.  Henry got everyone started according to plan and Graham worked his wizardry with the computer and clocked everyone back in making the management of the race a foregone conclusion.  Another foregone conclusion was Jeff Culnane much to Owain Tilley's disappointment of being pipped by 1 second again both clocking better than 3 minutes under the age standard.  In fact the first 10 men's places all beat the age standard.  Lee Sheather and Barbara Bayliss both had impressive finishes up the dreaded Lookout Hill and both posted better than age standard times with Lee better than 2 minutes and Barb better than 1 minute.  Krissa O'Neil finished strongly to be just outside the standard.  Brandy O'Connor and Kerry Knowles on their tandem finished strongly. 

Thanks to everyone for making this an incident free event..

Thanks to James Meredith for Race Refereeing.

Race results on the RMS: http://rms.actvets.cc/

For anyone who wants the detailed times, you can get them from http://www.actvets.cc/results/2012-winter-season-results

Lifecycle – Ride to raise awareness of Leukaemia.

Lifecycle is charity cycling event to be held in Canberra for the first time in 2012. Lifecycle is a major awareness and fundraising initiative that is seeking to educate our community with respect to Leukemia and other blood disorders, and at the same time secure funding for a purpose-built facility for the Leukemia Foundation in the ACT.

The essence of Lifecycle is that there will be an active ‘event window’ of 48 hours from 6:00pm on Thursday 13 September 2012 to 6:00pm on Saturday 15 September 2012, within which individual riders or teams can choose when they would like to ride. Teams can either ride the course together, or can participate in a relay style. The Lifecycle course will be around Lake Burley Griffin, taking in West and Central Basins, with the Event Headquarters to be located at Kings Park.

Click here to find out how you can get involved.

Hartley Lifecare 24hr Wheel-a-thon.

Hartley Lifecare is running a 24 bike relay to raise money for the Assistive Technology Program.

The Assistive Technology program helps children and adults gain greater independence, integrate socially, access the community and education and the workplace, communicate with others, and, help establish control within their environment.

24 hours of fun will make a huge difference to the life of a person living with a disability…

Visit http://www.everydayhero.com.au/event/wheelathon2012 to enter.

Your chance to have a say about cycling in Canberra in the lead up to the ACT Election.

It’s Election Time and Pedal Power ACT is holding a pre-Election forum on Wednesday, 19th September, 7:30 – 9:00pm at the Johnson Auditorium, Church’s Centre, 69 Northbourne Av.

There will be presentations from the ACT Greens, ACT Labor and the Canberra Liberals and the opportunity for questions from the floor. Attendance is free.

Members who would like to raise their views with the party representatives are encouraged to attend.

ACT Veterans Member Profile

In our next member profile we look at we look at Michael Redman;

How long have you been a member of ACT Vets?

I have been a member of ACT Vets for about  2 years.

What is your favourite course in the ACT Vets racing calendar and why?

Gunning.

What Grade did you start in with the Vets?

B grade.

What do you like about racing with the Vets?

Racing with people of a similar age.

How long have you been cycling?

12 years.

What got you interested in cycling?

A work mate got me to go for a mountain bike ride one day , and since then I have been hooked.

What was your most memorable ride?

2010 World 24hr solo mtb championships at Mt. Stromlo. 18 laps/360km.

What is/was your favourite bike?

My new Scott Foil 40.

Where do you work?

Boral Cement, Marulan.

How do you find the time to train?

On my days off between 12hr shifts at work.

Do you have a special training regime?

Not really, I just get out and ride most of the time.

What does your family think of your cycling?

My family is very supportive of my cycling.

An interesting fact about yourself;

I started cycling 12 years ago on a Kmart Huffy mountain bike.

Race Referees

The other change required by the AVCC is that all future racing must be conducted by club registered Race Referees. The race committee is asking for volunteers to take on the role. The Referee should be knowledgeable in the rules of the AVCC, and the club, and be willing to enforce those rules to the benefit of the club and its members.

These members will be put on a rotating roster to undertake their duties throughout the year, with consideration given to obligations.  Each referee will receive their membership for the year that they are roster at the clubs expense.

As everyone has already joined for this year we will wave all future race fees for the rest of the year for all this years rostered referees in lieu.  The need for volunteers is a matter of urgency and we must be able to meet this requirement before the start of the winter season when the new policy will take effect.

The important question to be asked is what happens if we don’t get the minimum number of referees. The race committee will be forced to reassess the calendar and reduce the number of races.

If you are prepared to take on this role, please contact James at handicapper@actvets.cc