Web Archive‎ > ‎News 2012‎ > ‎

9.5 Sep 24 Bleat

posted 24 Sep 2012, 18:47 by Administrator Actvcc

Hello Vets,

In this packed issue of The Bleat, plenty of important information;

·         Racing this Week – Tidbinbilla

·         Uriarra Homestead Club Championship – Race report.

·         ACT Vets Committee Meeting – Important changes.

·         Next Referee Course – For those who want to become Race Referees.

·         Track Racing – 2012-2013 Season kick off

·         Calendar Option – To help you plan your racing schedule.

·         In this week’s Member Profile we look at Vanessa Goodspeed.

Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc

Ian Morton.

RACING THIS WEEK:

Saturday, 29nd  September: Tidbinbilla Graded Scratch

Where: Paddy’s River Rd at the turnoff to the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
Note: For safety, please do not park on the corners of the intersection
When: 1:30 pm
Sign on: 15 mins before scheduled start time wearing your registered number.
Race Description: Tidbinbilla - Flints Crossing - Geals Ck - Flints crossing - ABC into Tracking Stn - EFG do not turn to Tracking Stn - Finish
Race Director: Ian Shaw

Help Needed on Saturday:  Ian will need Marshals and helpers at the finish line to run the race.  Please contact him if you can assist.

Consideration for other riders

Some important considerations for other riders particularly when faster grades catch up with slower grades on the course;

·         Turns are neutral so no overtaking slower riders on turns.

·         When passing give the other riders plenty of room. Don’t cut back in front of them too closely and once you have overtaken don’t slow down.

·         Please be careful when warming down at the end of the race as there may still be riders racing though the finish area/

Uriarra Homestead Club Championship Race Report

A warm day, clear skies and gentle breeze brought a field of 91 riders to the Age Division Scratch race that is the Club Championship.

Race finishes were often decided in closely fought sprint finishes although the age divisions themselves were well spaced. Sprints were often fought out between members of different age divisions.

Fourteen women riders competed in this year’s Championship, with seven contesting Division 2.

Brandie O’Connor finished first in Women’s Division1, a fitting reward for a strong ride throughout the race.

Women’s Division 2 was the most tightly fought finish of the day with Sue Powell taking line honours over Sally Thompson by a tyre width. Third place went to a strong finishing Lee Sheather.

Women’s Division 3 saw Kristi McVay taking first place over Krissa O’Neil and Antonia Bolschelarski.

Mary Lovett took first in Women’s Division 4, with Barbara Bayliss close behind.

Men’s Division 1 was won by Ben McDuff in a sprint including members of M1 and M2 divisions, ahead of Rohan Verco and Adam Carmody.

Men’s Division 2 was decided in the same sprint, with Aaron Sedgemen narrowly taking first against fast finishing Darius Everett and Christophe Barberet.

Ian Dowling took first place in Men’s Division 3, closely followed by Brendan Byatt and Greg Burghardt. 

In Men’s Division 4 (the largest Division with 21 riders finishing the course) was another race decided in the sprint, with Mark Harris edging out  Mark Gilleett and Dom Rideaux. The most exciting sprint group of the day comprised M4 riders Steve Sitko, Paul Welsh, Nick Boylan, Chris Nolan, with M3 riders Sean Ifland and Chris Short.

Men’s Division 5 saw Kevin Goodman take line honours ahead of Peter Klein who nudged out Owain Tilley.

Men’s Division 6 was win by Rob Diamond, in a fast and furious sprint finish that, when the dust settled, saw  Kevin Hennessey place second and Rico Fitch take third place.

Des Brown  won Men’s Division 7, with Wayne Gregson and Doug Widdup finishing their sprint for second and  third respectively .

A close finish in Men’s Division 8 saw Jeff Culnane take line honours over James Crudden , with  Lindsay Graham taking third place.

Many thanks to those who chose not to race but to provide Marshals and Timing/Chute support staff – Russ, Ross, Robert, Rosemary, Matt, and James (without whom the race simply would not have happened). Many thanks also are due to SMA for the (thankfully unused) first aid support.

Thanks to Michael Golding for refereeing.

Race results on the RMS: http://rms.actvets.cc/

For anyone who wants the detailed times, you can get them from http://www.actvets.cc/results/2012-winter-season-results

Committee Report – Important Changes

Following the committee meeting last week, there are some important changes for the racing administration;

2013 FEES

The fees for 2013 are;

·         Full competitive membership is $100.

·         Full competitive membership for sight impaired tandem cyclist is $70.

·         Non competitive membership is $5.

The increase in fees is a result of an increase in the cost of our insurance premiums.

RACE FEES

Race fees will increase to $5 for all races, including Tuesday night Crits and Thursday night track racing. This is effective for all races after 1 October 2012. This has become necessary due to the increased cost of running races in accordance with the new AVCC racing rules specifically the requirement for a first aid officer to be in attendance at all races.

RENEWING MEMBERS FOR 2013

PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT RENEWAL FORMS AND PAYMENT FOR 2013.

The club is joining with all AVCC affiliated clubs in an automated on-line national registration system (IMG). It is expected this system will start to operate in late November 2012. This system will require members to renew and pay online. The club will no longer accept any cash/cheque or EFT payments from renewing members. More information on this new online registration system will be provided once the system is available.

NEW MEMBERS

New members (i.e those who do not hold a 2012 licence) will still be able to join the club either by EFT/Cash/Cheque prior to the introduction of the on-line registration system.

Next Referee Course

On Saturday 13 October the Race Committee will be hold the next referee course. It will be held at Dairy Flat crit course in Fyshwick at 9.00am and goes for about 2 hours. Not sure where Dairy Flat is - look on the race maps page on the websitehttp://www.actvets.cc/files/racemaps You do not need to bring your bike but you can, if you drive bring a chair. The course is mainly theory and you will also go through contents of the van. Once you have completed the course you will be put on a rotating roster to undertake your duties throughout the 2013, with consideration given to obligations. Each referee will receive their membership for the year that they are roster at the clubs expense.

If you are attending please email  race.committee@actvet.cc  by 6 October.

If you can’t attend this course and are still interested in being a referee there is another option – see the referee page on the ACT VET website for details - http://www.actvets.cc/referees

Track Racing 2012-2013 Season kick off

QUEANBEYAN TRACK PRACTICE SESSION
THURSDAY 11 OCTOBER 6.00 PM
ALL WELCOME - DONT MISS IT!!

The 2012-13 Track Racing season will kick off with a practice session on Thursday 11 October at the Queanbeyan track.  There will be no racing.  All interested riders are invited - particularly new riders and track novices. It is a great opportunity to give track a try!

Note:

·         Queanbeyan track is located in the park in Central Queanbeyan (behind the police station);

·         Track & road bikes acceptable;

·         New riders can get practical advice on gearing, bunch riding & track etiquette;

·         Interested riders can try out a track bike;

·         Experienced riders can tune up the machinery & motor;

·         All riders can express their preference for events & races;

·         The practice session will be around 1hr 30 mins;

·         There is no formal structure to the practice. You can do your own thing.

·         We hope all riders will later adjourn to a selected Cafe to discuss the coming track season.

A few basics on track etiquette for the practice session:

·         If you are cruising around the track, ride high (next to the rail);

·         Tempo riders use the centre of the track;

·         Use the inner track if you are circulating fast or sprinting;

·         Hold your line - don't make any sudden changes of speed or position;

·         Be very careful if you are crossing or moving on / off the track;

·         Start from the fence and be aware of riders approaching;

·         Be careful braking on road bikes. Remember the track bike on your arse has no brakes!

Regular track racing will start on Thursday 18 October.

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE

The organising committee for the 2012-13 Track Racing season would like to keep two spare track bikes on tap for roadies and novice track riders to try.  If you have an old (preferably steel framed) track bike gathering dust in the garage, the committee would greatly appreciate the loan of your machine for the track season.

If you can help, please contact Patricia Rooke at;
Pat_rooke@yahoo.com.au
Ph 0403 802 044

New Calendar on the RMS;

The RMS has recently been upgraded with a calendar option to give a view of the race calendar for the rest of the year. Select the Calendar option s under the Links panel on the RMS;

This should help you plan your racing for the year.

ACT Veterans Member Profile

In our next member profile we look at we look at Vanessa Goodspeed;

How long have you been a member of ACT Vets?

I have been a member for around 5 years.

What is your favourite course in the ACT Vets racing calendar and why?

I would have 2 favourites - the first being  "Uriarra homestead to the crossing to the short turn" and the second being the "gravel pit to Lake George".  Both courses have a horrible hill but then allow tempo hill riding which suits my riding style.

What Grade did you start in with the Vets?

Started in E grade and am now hanging on for dear life in D grade.

What do you like about racing with the Vets?

During winter there is a race every weekend which is rare for a cycling club and although everyone is racing they still have time to care about people in the bunch.

How long have you been cycling?

I started seriously about 8 years ago.

What got you interested in cycling?

I used to row as my main sport.   I would also meet Kirsti McVay on the bike as another form of training.  However after cycling round France for 2 months, in 2004 I gave up rowing and focused on cycling.  I spent my time training for the long distance events such as Alpine Classic.  Kirsti convinced me to start racing - so it is all her fault.

What was your most memorable ride?

Cycling round France we rode from Nice to Menton via the hills. Heading up to a precariously located old town called Peille which was perched on the side of a mountain, it was such a beautiful site.  The ride saw us traversing  the Col de Madone and heading to a town called St Agnes before speeding down into Menton.  The views were spectacular and the riding hard - it was an unforgettable day.

What is/was your favourite bike?

I have just ordered a new TREK Madone 6.5 so it is potentially my favourite but it won't arrive for a couple of months so I have to say I love my Scott Spark MTB- she is a dream to ride and I think I will name her Scarlett.

Where do you work?

Department of Infrastructure and Transport which is located in the city.

How do you find the time to train?

I have to train before work as I never know when I am going to finish work of an evening.  On the weekend I ride with Kirsti and Jan and then MTB on Sunday afternoon.

Do you have a special training regime?

For the last 6 months I have been on a structured program which means for the first time I have been able to sit on the trainer every morning rather than heading out into the dark and cold mornings - I am loving it!  During summer I get 1.5hours on the MTB on my way to work.

What does your family think of your cycling?

My husband Bruce is more fanatical than I am so he loves me cycling..

An interesting fact about yourself;

Bruce and I own a little house at Tuross Heads on the south coast.  Every second weekend and long weekends are spent at the coast training.  Every December the Eurobodalla Cycling club hold a CA sanctioned race called "The Goodies Classic". It is named after Bruce and myself.