z10.1 Oct 1 Bleat
Post date: Oct 01, 2012 10:10:7 AM
In this issue of The Bleat;
· No Racing this Weekend
· Criterium Racing – Season start
· Tidbinbilla Graded Scratch Race Report – Race report.
· ACT Vets Committee Meeting – Important changes.
· Next Referee Course – For those who want to become Race Referees.
· Track Racing – 2012-2013 Season
· Calendar Option – To help you plan your racing schedule.
Please send me your contributions at: TheBleat@actvets.cc
No racing this weekend.
So you can all get out and enjoy the Family and Community Day long weekend.
Criterium Season Start
The first race of the summer Criterium season is on Tuesday 9 October. This year the race committee have changed the timing of the crits to allow all grades longer races as the days get longer. A PDF of the schedule can be found on the website http://www.actvets.cc/events/tuesdaycrit – these times will also be in the RMS.
Below are a few points you can do to help the referee make the evenings run smoothly.
• Register to race no later than 15 minutes before your scheduled start time
• Be in the marshalling area (the concrete area in front of the sign-in desk) 5 minutes before your scheduled start time.
• Do not warm up on the track. Do that up on the road.
• Wear your race number.
• Enter into the grade determined the Handicapper – see the RMS for your Criterium Grade, it may be different to your Road racing grade. You can compete in a higher grade but not in a lower grade. Contact the Handicapper before the day of the race to request changes.
• Finish the final lap quickly (so the next race can start) and get in ‘finish line order’ prior to entering the Chute.
Due to the fact that vets crits are so popular (some weeks getting over 100 entries) each week we will be asking for 4 marshals (helpers) to help the race referee - 1 at the sign-in desk, to check helmets and sign-in, 1 to help on the start line, to watch the track and finishing sprint, 2 for the finishing chute, to record finishing order for the different grades. Marshalls are able to race on the night so you and a mate in a different grade, can share the job. If we do not get helpers races will not go ahead.
Tidbinbilla Graded Scratch Race Report
Unfortunately, despite repeated rumours that spring had arrived, winter still had one last hurrah turning on strong winds, cold and rain.
Despite a few hardy souls turning up ready to race, it was decided that the conditions were unsafe and the race was cancelled.
That concludes the 2012 Winter Road Race season. After next weekend’s break, the summer season will commence on Sunday mornings.
Committee Report – Important Changes
Correction from last week’s advice;
· Full competitive membership for sight impaired tandem cyclist is $75.
Next Referee Course
On Saturday 13 October the Race Committee will be hold the next referee course. It will be held at Dairy Flat crit course in Fyshwick at 9.00am and goes for about 2 hours. Not sure where Dairy Flat is - look on the race maps page on the website http://www.actvets.cc/files/racemaps You do not need to bring your bike but you can, if you drive bring a chair. The course is mainly theory and you will also go through contents of the van. Once you have completed the course you will be put on a rotating roster to undertake your duties throughout the 2013, with consideration given to obligations. Each referee will receive their membership for the year that they are roster at the clubs expense.
If you are attending please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 October.
If you can’t attend this course and are still interested in being a referee there is another option – see the referee page on the ACT VET website for details - http://www.actvets.cc/referees
Track Racing 2012-2013 Season
QUEANBEYAN TRACK PRACTICE SESSION
THURSDAY 11 OCTOBER 6.00 PM
ALL WELCOME - DONT MISS IT!!
The 2012-13 Track Racing season will kick off with a practice session on Thursday 11 October at the Queanbeyan track. There will be no racing. All interested riders are invited - particularly new riders and track novices. It is a great opportunity to give track a try!
· Queanbeyan track is located in the park in Central Queanbeyan (behind the police station);
· Track & road bikes acceptable;
· New riders can get practical advice on gearing, bunch riding & track etiquette;
· Interested riders can try out a track bike;
· Experienced riders can tune up the machinery & motor;
· All riders can express their preference for events & races;
· The practice session will be around 1hr 30 mins;
· There is no formal structure to the practice. You can do your own thing.
· We hope all riders will later adjourn to a selected Cafe to discuss the coming track season.
A few basics on track etiquette for the practice session:
· If you are cruising around the track, ride high (next to the rail);
· Tempo riders use the centre of the track;
· Use the inner track if you are circulating fast or sprinting;
· Hold your line - don't make any sudden changes of speed or position;
· Be very careful if you are crossing or moving on / off the track;
· Start from the fence and be aware of riders approaching;
· Be careful braking on road bikes. Remember the track bike on your arse has no brakes!
Regular track racing will start on Thursday 18 October.
REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE
The organising committee for the 2012-13 Track Racing season would like to keep two spare track bikes on tap for roadies and novice track riders to try. If you have an old (preferably steel framed) track bike gathering dust in the garage, the committee would greatly appreciate the loan of your machine for the track season.
If you can help, please contact Patricia Rooke at;
Ph 0403 802 044
New Calendar on the RMS;
The RMS has recently been upgraded with a calendar option to give a view of the race calendar for the rest of the year. Select the Calendar option s under the Links panel on the RMS;
This should help you plan your racing for the year.